Gifted Education for Educators
Welcome to this professional development (PD) series. Through two courses (each involving 30 contact hours), the series prepares general education teachers to work with identified gifted students and other advanced learners. The series addresses the purposes and objectives specified in the Ohio Department of Education, Gifted Education Professional Development Resource Guide (2017). Three national experts—all with graduate preparation and licensure in gifted education—developed the content of the two-year professional development series: Dr. Edwina Pendarvis, Professor Emeritus, Marshall University; Dr. Aimee Howley, Professor Emeritus, Ohio University; and Dr. Craig Howley, Retired Professor, Ohio University.
The Course Facilitator
If you are participating in this PD, you will be working with a facilitator. This colleague will support your engagement with the course. Depending on how the facilitator organizes the PD series in your district, you might work in small groups or by yourself. Either way, you will complete readings and projects, and the facilitator will assess your work to determine if it fulfills the course requirements. The requirements for each project are clearly spelled out in a rubric, which is provided following the description of each project.
Note to District Leaders
To use these materials in your district, you need to identify a course facilitator. This person should hold an Intervention Specialist license in gifted education from Ohio or an equivalent credential from another state. Or the person could hold a graduate degree in gifted education or be a state or national presenter in gifted education. If you cannot find a person within the district to serve in this capacity, please contact an Ohio Educational Service Center in your region. If you need additional help, please contact Jim Gay or Karel Oxley at OLAC.
- Year One Syllabus ( PDF | DOCX )
- OLAC Module, Curriculum
- OLAC Module, Diversity: Ensuring Everyone Learns
- Foundational Concept, Acceleration ( PDF | DOCX )
- Acceleration Project ( PDF | DOCX )
- Foundational Concept, Access to Advanced Curriculum ( PDF | DOCX )
- Access to Advanced Curriculum Project ( PDF | DOCX )
- Foundational Concept, Differentiating Instruction for Advanced Learners ( PDF | DOCX )
- Differentiating Instruction for Advanced Learners Project ( PDF | DOCX )
- Foundational Concept, Culturally Responsive Pedagogy for Advanced Learners ( PDF | DOCX )
- Culturally Responsive Pedagogy for Advanced Learners Project ( PDF | DOCX )